Hydrated lime ( or slaked lime) is usually a dry powder resulting from the controlled slaking of quicklime with water.
The exothermic or released heat of reaction is captured and used to evaporate the excess slaking water. For “slurry lime” excess water is not evaporated and the hydrate remains as a water suspension.
- Metallurgy : Steel Manufacture, Steel Products Manufacture, Magnesium Manufacture, Alumina Manufacture, Ore Flotation and Non-Ferrous Metal Smelting.
- Pulp And Paper : Sulfate Process, Sulfite Process, Bleaching, Precipitated Calcium Carbonate, Strawboard Manufacture, and in the treatment of pulp and paper mill liquid wastes, as a coagulant in color removal.
- Chemicals : Alkalis, Calcium Carbide and Cyanimide, Petrochemicals, Bleaches, Dye and Dyestuff Intermediates and Coke- By-Products. In addition, it is used in the purification of citric acid, glucose and dextrin; metallic calcium; soda-lime, an adsorbent; and for countless other minor or isolated purposes, such as for CO, absorption.
- Water Treatment : Scope, Softening, Purification, Coagulation, Neutralization of Acid Water, Silica Removal and Removal of Other Impurities.
- Sewage Treatment : Maintain proper pH and Stabilizing Sewage Sludge.
- Industrial Trade Wastes : Treatment of industrial trade wastes to abate pollution from Steel and Metal Fabricating Plants, Chemical and Explosives Plants, Acid Mine Drainage, Paper and Fibers, Food Plants and in clarifying “water gas” acid waste effluents.
- Flue Gas Desulfurization.
- Solid Wastes Disposal.
- Miscellaneous Uses : Petroleum, Leather, and Rubber.
- Ceramic Products : Glass, Refractories, and in the production of whiteware pottery, lime is sometimes employed to bind the kaolin and ball clays present.
- Building Materials : Calcium Silicate Brick, Concrete Products, Miscellaneous Building Units, and Insulation Materials.
- Protective Coatings : Pigments, Water Paints, and Varnish.
- Food & Food By Products : Dairy Industry, Sugar Industry, Animal Glue and Gelatin Industries, Baking Industry, and CA (controlled atmospheric) Storage of Fresh Fruit and Vegetables. All tortillas are made with lime treatment.